World Library and Information Congress: 78th IFLA General Conference and Assembly Satellite Conference in Tampere, Finland, 8-10 August 2012
Conference start page * Accommodation & travel information * Programme
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING PAPER PROPOSALS HAS PASSED
How can libraries and information centres improve access to women’s information and preserve women’s cultural heritage?
Scope / Objectives of the Conference
The Conference aims to discuss
- ways libraries and information centres provide access to feminist, human rights and gender information
- ways to preserve women’s cultural heritage
- the role of libraries and information centres in the internet era, and the role of the internet in democratising access to women´s information and information for women
Papers can cover a wide range of related areas including
1. Collection strategies
- Collection strategies of mainstream: Whose histories are we collecting, and for whom are we collecting them?
- New directions: How do we shape collections so that they serve future diverse generations?
- Libraries and archives as feminist knowledge producers
- Oral history projects
- Strategies for collecting and preserving the memories of migrant and refugee women
2. Providing access to women’s or gender information
- Tools to promote access to and enable exchange of women’s or gender information
- Thesauri, anthologies, tags, gender mainstreaming classification schemes
- Good practices in providing access to women’s and gender information
- Dissemination of gendered information in a globalised world
3. Libraries/information centres and new media in a gendered world
- The changing function of libraries in the internet era
- Dealing with the new media: challenge of opportunity?
- Digital information centres as a solution to financial and distribution challenges
- Digital gap, gender and development
- Developing digital libraries
- The role of social networks
Proposals to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including
- Title of the paper
- Abstract of approximately 150 words, summarising the paper
- 3-6 keywords
- Speaker's name, professional affiliation, postal address, email address and brief biographical note.
Proposals will be reviewed by a selection panel chaired by the Women, Information and Libraries Special Interest Group Convener in cooperation with WINE. Papers and presentations should be unpublished, original works. IFLA has first publication rights to papers selected.
Conference presentations will be made in English. They will be no longer than 20 minutes, with extra time for discussion at the end of the session.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Letters of invitation can be issued to presenters upon request.
First-time presenters and new professionals are especially encouraged to apply.
31th January 2012: Submission of abstracts
21th February 2012: Notification of acceptance
IFLA Women, Information and Libraries Special Interest Group (WIL)
Maria Cotera, convener, wilsig (at) googlemail.com
Women Information Network Europe (WINE)
Tilly Vriend, Aletta, Netherlands, t.vriend (at) aletta.nu
WINE Board Member and Member of the Know How Community
Minna Centre for Gender Equality Information in Finland
Local host for the satellite conference
Sari Pikkala, sari.pikkala (at) uta.fi